[LI] Intelligent mail distribution (ksort of)

Hiya ppl,
I have a problem with a mail distribution system in an office. The setup is
as follows.

A linux box with an ISDN line to the Internet. A pop3 server of our company
on the Internet in US from which we pull down the mails of our employees who
are in our office.

The problem is that the address format of the mails in the WHOLE COMPANY is
user1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx user2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (as usual). Now there are a
couple of other offices in the other places.

What we want is that the linux box, when not connected to the net, should
immediately send the mails of the people who are in our office i.e.
user1@ourcompany OR user2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx but if a user is not present on our
local machine the mail should be queued and then later sent through the
Internet to our US server so that it is downloaded by the respective user3.

The mail queueing part is easy to do with sendmail. But how do I tell
sendmail that if the user is NOT found on the local server the mail has to
queued and then sent through the Internet??

 Or would this be possible with some other MTA other than Sendmail.

Any ideas?

VaibhaV Sharma
Indian Linux Users Group Indore Chapter
Jab gaon mein pachas-pachas network hop door baccha kisi Software ka crack
mangta hai to uski maa kehati hai, `So jaa, bete, so jaa, nahin to Nasscom
se Dewang Mehta aa jayega'.

Thats why folks, Join the free software Revolution. Use Linux.