Re: [LI] access internet from proxy??

Hay,
You have two things possible, depending on your way of accessing the
internet.

1. If you are using LYNX for browsing, u would have to tweak with the
/etc/lynx.cfg file. This file has proxy settings for all type of services
deep down the file. You can even specify if a particular site request has
not to be accessed through the proxy. Just go through this file and U'll
find it easy to modify the commented lines.

2. If you are using netscape, the only thing u have to do is to fill in the
proxy server details. This should work fine for anyone if the settings are
correct and the proxy server is reachable.

For the other services like telnet or FTP the general way of accessing the
proxy is to FIRST telnet OR ftp to the proxy server itself, this would give
you a prompt on the proxy server then in turn u specify the host u wanna
telnet OR the user@host u wanna FTP to

If your proxy server allows (I tried all this on wingate) u can even map the
proxy server's port 25 to your outgoing mail server (SMTP) of your ISP. and
then all the internal clients would simply use the proxy server as their
outgoing mail server.

Hope all this helps.

VaibhaV Sharma
Indian Linux Users Group Indore Chapter

Jab gaon mein pachas-pachas network hop door baccha kisi Software ka crack
mangta hai to uski maa kehati hai, `So jaa, bete, so jaa, nahin to Nasscom
se Dewang Mehta aa jayega'.

Thats why folks, Join the free software Revolution. Use Linux.