Re: [LI] Query - multiple identities using Mutt

On Sun, Dec 26, 1999 at 10:21:24AM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> Like I said, I prefer mutt.  However, it sends mail as
> suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (my hostname) which is obviously bogus.
>
> How do I set .muttrc to snip the suresh subdomain out of the from field,

Excerpt from my .muttrc:

    my_hdr From: Sitaram Chamarty <sitaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> and how do I handle multiple identities in Mutt?

This is a slightly different issue.  Assuming all your accounts
are POP3 accounts, it's not actually mutt that does this, but
fetchmail.  (Do the latest evrsions of mutt do POP3?  I seem to
remember hearing something like that but havent kept upto date on
mutt's development... maybe someone can fill this in).

Anyway, I use fetchmail to download my POP3 email, and fetchamil
can handle multiple accounts nicely - it's even got a GUI config
tool (fetchmailconf) to do this!  After that all the emails are
just sitting in your inbox, regardless of where they came from.

If you want to reply using different "From" addresses (depending
on where the meail came from) mutt will allow you to setup
different "send hooks" depending on various criteria (I havent
used this much, so forgive the punting!).

Let me know if you get stuck with this and I'll see what I can dig
up...