Re: [LI] Winmodems

On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 12:48:14PM -0800, Arun Sharma wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 02:02:40AM +0530, Anuj Jain wrote:
> >
> > I have searched and searched and searched the net, but have not been
> > able to gather any info. Any help will be much appreciated.
>
> Because, the people who write the drivers aren't pained enough. They'd
> rather go buy a regular modem.

True.  However, there are a couple of places where you can get
some drivers.  Lucent has made binary only drivers avlbl for their
modems, while there is also an open source project whose name
escapes me right now.  If you're really desparate let me know and
I'll search...

> People who write the drivers for windows (hardware manufacturers) don't
> care about Linux, because it represents too small a chunk of their sales.

That's changing, fortunately.

> Further, not everyone is willing to open source their work under GPL.

It has always amazed me why hardware manufacturers would do this
at all.  I don't necessarily mean thay should all write the
drivers for Linux, but many of them don't even provide specs to
folks who are willin to!

(Maybe MS pays them to keep it so :-)