Re: [LI] Partitioning : No free primary

>> 4) now delete the second partition. this allocates space for ur linux
drive
>> b/w the primary and second nt partitions.
>> apparently, linux does not run if installed above 4gb and that might be
the
>> problem.
>
>Another thing... Do you mean that Linux does not install if forced to
>install itself beyond the first 4 gb of the HDD? Not true... Mine used
>to run AFTER allocating 4 GB purely to FAT 16.

no, the base is that the boot loader cannot be loaded to a location higher
than 4GB.  Even if you load linux on the 6th GB, it will work if lilo boot
loader is on the first partition.

Last time I had to assist (do infact) a Linux+NT installation for a dude who
is preparing for MCSE, the drive being 8.4 GB, i went this way. [we did RHL
5.2]
1. Booted linux, used dd to create a dos p of 500 MB, swap 127 MB, then
created dos 3.9 and native 3.9, installed linux, and went along till the
place were i was asked for boot disk, created it.
2. formatted 500 MB as fat, put dos 6.22, started NT and installed NT to the
3.9 making it NTFS, well NT did complain that this partition was too big ,
another cliche [partitions are created as F16 and converted to NTFS, if done
on installation]. so we removed the HDD and put it in another machine, and
formatted the drive in NTFS 3.9 GB, took it back and loaded NT. let NT play
with the MBR.
3. Went back and booted into linux using the boot floppy, edited the lilo by
hand and updated it to the MBR.

some points
* startup drive is FAT 16,so sharing data between NT and Linux is easy
* there is only four partitions and the data area is at the end