Re: [LI] Partitioning : No free primary

>> At the time of installation, the free space is correctly detected by
>> disk druid and I start allocating partitions.. after crossing first two
>> partitions, [I tried some permutations of allocations too, was unable to
>> catch any other pattern] it gives an error : Can not allocate partition,
>> no free primary.

Harddisks have a limitation, of no of partitions, ie u can have a max of 4
partitions only, of which one may be extended, extended can house any no of
logical drives, this is identified by linux as
        hd[x]1, hd[x]2, hd[x]3, hd[x]4    ----> primary partitions
        hd[x]5 and above                    -----> logical drives
in this the drive type flag decides whether partition in extended or
primary. so it may happen that linux while booting show

    hda1  hda2 <hda5> hda3 hda4

this shows that /dev/hda5 is actually a logical drive (dos representation)
inside dos extended partiton hda2, and all the others are primary partition.

if you had allocated 600 mb 1st primary, 2.5 GB second primary, then you
have only two more left, which i think you have done, after which dd (linux)
started complaining about unavailability of primary [it actually says no
free primary address or name space]

got it?