Re: [LI] Samba SOS

Hi! I seem to have found out the problem. Even i had been having the problem
that u r facing ....IPC password and all...

The problem comes from the fact that Windows 98 and Windows 95 OSR2 version
onward sends your passwords to the SAMBA server in encrypted form. , while
Samba expects it in plain text form.

If security is not an extremely critical problem, you can do the following.
Got to the samba site, ftp://ftp.samba.org/pub They have a few files called
Windows95 or Windows 98 plaintext password or something. They have a ".reg"
extension. download the appropriate ones and "execute" them in windows. They
change a small option in your windows registry which causes the computer to
send plain text passwords from them on....remember as with all things of
windoze, u got to reboot once after this.. ;-)

this should work. if not , do tell me and attach the smb.conf file if
necessary.

Sandip Bhattacharya
sandipb@xxxxxxxxxxx
HOPE 16 Web Solutions