Re: [linux-india-programmers] Re: [LI] struct task

On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 12:16:24AM +0530, Binand Raj S. wrote:
> Arun Sharma forced the electrons to say:
> > I'm not aware of an online link. The best sources I've found:
> > 1. Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD operating system
> >    Kirk McKusick et al
> > 2. UNIX internals - the new frontiers by Uresh Vahalia
>
> I would like to add 2 books here.
>
> 3. Design of the Unix Operating System: Maurice J. Bach
> A classic. In the same league as no 1. P'raps better.

It is a good book - but hasn't been kept up to date. A lot of the
concepts in there have been - `outdated' would be too harsh a word
- but improved upon.

I found (1) to be a better book because, it has been updated much
more recently and you can look up an actively developed source base
(*BSD) to improve your understanding.

> 4. Linux Device Drivers: Alessandro Rubini
> Quite new, and has some information on the organisation of the linux kernel,
> apart from authoring modules that this book is all about. An excellent buy for
> all who are interested in linux programming.

Good book for driver programming, but not for understanding how the kernel
works for a beginner.

> I also remember a book called The Magic Garden.

My review of this book is that it gets too bogged down in the code
details in SVR4 and fails to provide a clear picture.

If you've taken a undergraduate course in OSes (Peterson or Tannenbaum books),
then the fastest way to get up to speed is the 4.4 BSD book.

	-Arun