Re: [LI] .htaccess again.

Sorry for the unprompt reply.
Here is a list of tips which may/not help you.

1) check your conf/srm.conf file for an entry that reads
AccessFileName .htaccess
This is default, so unless you have messed with it  will still be this.

> the .htacess file reads:

2) your .htacess file reads okie except for its name.
Check the spelling of the name. :-)

3) I hope you are killing your httpd after every change.
You need to restart the daemon for changes to take effect... In case you are
not
 killall -v -HUP httpd

4) Now while accessing from your browser you should get the authentication
screen.

5.1) If you do not get this then forget the .htaccess files and hard-code it
into your
httpd.conf file as follows:-
_____________________________________
Directory /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs>
 AllowOverride None
 AuthUserFile /usr/local/etc/httpd/passwords/passwordfile
# Group authentication is disabled by pointing it to /dev/null
 AuthGroupFile /dev/null
 AuthName These documents are only available to authorized users in our domain

 AuthType Basic
 <Limit Get>
 require valid-user
 order deny,allow
 deny from all
 allow from domain
 </Limit>
</Directory>

This should solve your problem. In fact writing in the httpd.conf file is a
preferred option since it means you have to modify only in one file.. one of
the tiny things making life easier.

5.2) Use htpasswd to create new users..... Make sure you have the passwordfile
outside the directory you are trying to protect.

I hope this solves your problem. In case it doesn't I suggest you buy surf up
some info on the topic/ buy some books /etc and then mail the group about it.

regards
Uk