Re: [LI] Question about FAQ doc on PPP

> What are RPI modems. What is answer reffering to?

Before the invention of the Winmodem concept, there existed forms of
software-run modems. Some Rockwell-chipset-mounted modems exclusively used
drivers written for them to give full compression/error correction
functions. Althought they could be used without the drivers [such as from
within DOS] [unlike the Winmodems], the so-called RPI drivers were needed.

Of course there are no RPI drivers written for those models for the LINUX
OS.

> One of the Q's also mentions Atul Chitnis's point of noauth option.
> quote
>    That's all that you should do. Do NOT attempt to use the +pap, or
>    +chap, or auth options. These will only cause your authentication
>    sequence to fail since they all force the ISP to authenticate itself
>    with you. Since most ISP's will not do this, and you have told pppd
>    that the ISP must by using these options, then pppd will not permit
>    the ISP to connect to you -- or, to put it in practical terms, you
>    connect to the ISP.
> unquote
>
> I don't understand the difference between me connecting to ISP and
> vice-versa, since I'm the one ringing up. If there is a difference, what
> is VSNL doing? Are they trying to make connection with the clients ("what
> most ISP's don't do")?

I think it is referring to 'call back' feature.
You call the ISP. ISP records your number. Calls you back to authenticate.
If that is not so, maybe someone else would show the correct meaning of the
above.