[LI] Question about FAQ doc on PPP

Hello,
   I was browsing thorough the FAQs on PPP and came across this question I
couldn't understand.

quote
    7.10 The PPP software connects, sends quite a few frames, but still
    does not seem to connect. Why is that?

   Linux does not support RPI modems. If your modem is RPI then you will
   have to find a different modem. This is not likely to change in the
   future given the statements made by Rockwell\s management.
unquote

What are RPI modems. What is answer reffering to?

One of the Q's also mentions Atul Chitnis's point of noauth option.
quote
   That's all that you should do. Do NOT attempt to use the +pap, or
   +chap, or auth options. These will only cause your authentication
   sequence to fail since they all force the ISP to authenticate itself
   with you. Since most ISP's will not do this, and you have told pppd
   that the ISP must by using these options, then pppd will not permit
   the ISP to connect to you -- or, to put it in practical terms, you
   connect to the ISP.
unquote

I don't understand the difference between me connecting to ISP and
vice-versa, since I'm the one ringing up. If there is a difference, what
is VSNL doing? Are they trying to make connection with the clients ("what
most ISP's don't do")?

Rajeev