Re: [LI] Postgres

Hi Aditya,

When u install Linux from PCQ CD, postgres is installed in the system,
but will not start up automatically. PGDATA is the value of the path where
postmaster/ psql searches for the data files. postmaster is the daemon
process which when started listens to port 5432 (by default, and if I
remember
that correctly). Log into any a/c, except root, and set the environment
variable
PGDATA, to point to any valid directory where you want to keep the data. The
HOWTO clearly explains how to create a dummy database viz. template1 (You
need to start the postmaster for this first). For the first time manually
start
postmaster as a background process (give &), and run 'psql template1'.
This will log you into the dummy, and you can create your own database.
Then put postmaster (using su -c) into your rc files, I would prefer
rc.local,
and the next time postmaster should start automatically. You can try
pgaccess for manipulating the database.

I was trying to experiment using postgres/ php, and it was great. If you
need
to have a web based application, you can try this combination. BTW, I do not
know the security implications of php, and would be grateful, if someone
enlightens me on that.

Best of luck,

Suvendra