Re: [LI] Linux India and Debian

Arun Sharma <adsharma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 11/22/99 01:09:00 AM

>You probably expected to get the kind of reaction that you got. I think
>having a debian users group is only a matter of time. The more we try
>to supress it, the more of an underground movement it becomes. And
>underground movements are far more powerful than mainstream ones.

Hello there,
;-)

>So, if you wish to have a debian users group and a mailing list, have it
>by all means. After all, India is a free country. But make sure that it
>doesn't exclude LI. The Linux movement has already shown you the
advantages
>of the network effects. So it is important for you and whoever is planning

Well,even if ilug-debian does comes along or not, I am going to stick
to LI. LI is my favourite hang-out here after which comes NASA (
Bangaloreans
know this ;-)

>Also, most of us are not surprised that this kind of a move is coming from
>the debian user community and not Caldera or SuSE users. I like the
>religious fervor that debian guys tend to have. If it was not for that
>spirit, we would not have Linux. Ken Thompson's 'knee jerk reaction' quote
>comes to mind. Though it was not hugely popular among the Linux masses, it
>had an element of truth in it.

Well, you pump up my strength. ;-) ( Along with Raj,Prasad (B) and Atul ;-)

>your goal to get a 'guru' status in a group that appreciates your
knowledge
>relevant to the group ?

Well, never in my assosciation with LI or Linux have I tried to be a 'guru'
and never would wanna do that (I don't fit that spot ;-). But, I just
want to be known as a True Linuxer. ( and not as anti-M$ )

>Let me make a confession here - I like the quality of BSD kernel
>source code and their licensing policies better than Linux. I read and
>participate in several BSD user groups. But I still continue to spend
>a big chunk of my time on LI, because I think Linux has the best chance
>of survival right now and I gain the most out of the 'network effects' by
>being with LI. For example, if I want a commercial program foo, I'm more
>likely to get it if I ask for a 'Linux port' rather than a 'FreeBSD port'
>or 'Debian GNU/Linux port'.

Yeah !! Yeah !! Same here.

>To reiterate - unity is strength. Pay attention or suffer.

And as far as ilug-debian is concerned, as we do not have many debianers
here,
this will be a group with less activity. Basically activity concerned with
debian, it's releases, anymore info about Debian and all that will be
posted
here and also on LI. ilug-debian will strive to be a true Linux User Group
( True to GNU/Linux basically ). General Linux on LI.
So, join ilug-debian on your own volition.

So, if you wanna join check out www.egroups.com and search for ilug-debian
and join there.

And no more underground activities w.r.t. to Debian or Li ;-)
Regards
     Khader