Re: [LI] >> THREADS in linux << Info reqd on LINUX

Hi

> like to know what are all the hardware required to install Linux.

	You can have linux on 386 and above systems. However even on 8086 to
286 you have ELKS. It also available for other architectures like macintosh,
sparc, alpha etc.

 > Could you please tell me the system call to implement threads on linux. for
> eg: on Sun thr_getspecific or thr_setspecific etc., which are existing under
> /usr/include/thread.h file. I would like to know whether do we have same
> thearding concept on Linux.

At the kernel level the call is clone which is the generic call for both
threading and forking (processes).

However I would suggest the pthreads in glibc. As its portable across gnu
systems and also should be across systems implementing POSIX THREADS, where as
the clone is VERY SPECIFIC to LINUX.

If I am not wrong the Task switching or Scheduling logic in Linux when compared
to other OSes treat the Threads and processess in a different manner.

--
Keep :-)
HanishKVC