[LI] squid & PCQ Nov Cd

Hello,
I installed squid 2.2 from PCQ Nov CD in my RH 5.2 box. I followed the
instructions given in the Nov issue regarding setting up of Transparent
Proxy With Squid with ipfwadm. The required modifications in firewall
configuration file & squid.conf file was  done. When i try to start squid by
/etc/rc.d/init.d/squid start   i get a message
'Starting squid: init_cache_dir /var/spool/squid... squid'
I can even see squid running with squid -D when i do a ps x.
But the squid daemon dies after a few moments & i can't see any thing when i
do ps x &
when i do
/etc/rc.d/init.d/squid status    i get the message
squid (pid pid_no1
pid_no2
pid_no3
pid_no4) is running...
squid: ERROR: No running copy

Why is this happening ? Can somebody point out what the error could be & how
to correct it ?
Thanks a lot.

Manoj