Re: [LI] Help required on Linux

----- Original Message -----
From: Akshara Technologies <girish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <linux-india@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 08, 1999 6:39 PM
Subject: [LI] Help required on Linux

> Hello All,
>
> I have an intranet project that must be implemented for one of my clients.
> I am evaluating Linux for him instead of WIN NT and MS-BackOffice. All my
> programming will be done using VIsual Studio. However for the backend I am
> thinking of using Linux.
>
> I have searched the WEB pages at Linuxhq.com for answers but could not
find
> any. I hope one of you can help me.
>
> My questions are:-
>
> 1. Does Linux have an in-built RDBMS which supports intranet features and
> that can be accessed by a VB app that runs on a WIN95 node.

Ya!!!! why not? Tryout mysql (free !!!). Otherwise u can use Oracle, Sybase
or DB2 for Linux.
But the best bet is mSQL or mySQL. To use in VB, use the ODBC client.

> 2. Does the RDBMS have CLient Access Licenses just as MS-SQL Server has?

Please don't specify M$-SQL server before trying out the above mentioned
RDBMSs.

> 3. Is there a limit to the number of users that can access the database at
> any given point of time?

try to calculate the number of users who simulteniously quary a busy web
site. Ya!! most of
the database driven busy websites use mySQL as backend engine.

> 4. Can Dynamic WEB paes; pages that retrieve data from an RDBMS be hosted
> on LINUX. If so using which language?  I.e., can ASP be used?

Checkout the Nov99-PCQ article in this matter. If u are using mySQL,then PHP
will be the best
bet (java can also do.....). (any comment from saniSoft ?)

> 5. Can Linux be used on the server to allow users to dial in using a modem
> and their preferred browser to access data from the RDBMS stored on the
> Linux server.

Ya!! ofcourse. Use Apache as it is excellent (even ASP can be mounted --
checkout PCQ artcle).

> 6. Do all the above features require separate software? If so are they
free
> or do they have to be purchased?

mySQL is freeeeeeeee. JDK1.2 is freeeeeeee. Apache is Freeeee again. (hi man
pl try to get out from M$ trap). U can find all of them in Nov'99 PCQ-CD.
(Atul, another pcq-CD goes away)

> Can anyone help me with these questions?

You can mail me personally for suggestion. (no license fee, no registration,
no user restriction) In which city do u belong?

> Thanks in advance.
> Regards,
> Girish
> Akshara Technologies
> Email:aksharatechnologies@xxxxxxxx

Are u still want to use M$ v'Studio?? Think different man. MySQL and mSQL
are available for win32 also. (guess the size of RDBMSs!! mySQL is 3mb
installation, mSQL coding 800kb, mSQL installation for win32 port 1.2mb)

Archan Paul
archanp@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.bigfoot.com/~archanp