[LI] Help required on Linux

    Girish> Hello All, I have an intranet project that must be
    Girish> implemented for one of my clients.  I am evaluating Linux
    Girish> for him instead of WIN NT and MS-BackOffice. All my
    Girish> programming will be done using VIsual Studio. However for
    Girish> the backend I am thinking of using Linux.

    Girish> I have searched the WEB pages at Linuxhq.com for answers
    Girish> but could not find any. I hope one of you can help me.

    Girish> My questions are:-

    Girish> 1. Does Linux have an in-built RDBMS which supports
    Girish> intranet features and that can be accessed by a VB app
    Girish> that runs on a WIN95 node.

In short, yes.

In long, what are ``intranet features''?  I don't know any RDBMS which
has special intranet features, it's just and RDBMS.  You can access
the Linux RDBMS' using ODBC or JDBC.

    Girish> 2. Does the RDBMS have CLient Access Licenses just as
    Girish> MS-SQL Server has?

Yes.  You pay Rs. 0 per client, upto a maximum of 4294967296
clients. :-)

    Girish> 3. Is there a limit to the number of users that can access
    Girish> the database at any given point of time?

See previous answer.

    Girish> 4. Can Dynamic WEB paes; pages that retrieve data from an
    Girish> RDBMS be hosted on LINUX. If so using which language?
    Girish> I.e., can ASP be used?

Yes.  Use PHP3 or Perl.  Commercial ASP versions are also available
for Linux, perhaps even freeware ones.

    Girish> 5. Can Linux be used on the server to allow users to dial
    Girish> in using a modem and their preferred browser to access
    Girish> data from the RDBMS stored on the Linux server.

Yes.

    Girish> 6. Do all the above features require separate software? If
    Girish> so are they free or do they have to be purchased?

They obviously require seperate software.  I've indicated the prices
above.

    Girish> Can anyone help me with these questions?

Uh, perhaps.  What are the questions? ;-)

-- Raju