[LI] Re: Linux India Digest V1 #304

Hi Anand,

 Anand Raman wrote:

> > Hi guys
> >
> > I installed RedHat 6.1 from the November PCQ cd .. However after the
> > install when i tried to restart the computer it started giving me a
> > Virus warning
> >
> > The exact message is this
> > "Trident ChipAwayVirus has detected a boot virus on your hardisk"
> >
> > Prior to this installation i had SuSE 6.0 running happily on the system
> > with a idle dos partition which i used for some archiving purposes from
> > Linux only .It has been ages since i have booted into DOS and on top of
> > that I havent installed Windows95 .This is the first time this warning
> > is getting flashed from the bios
> >
> > Questions
> > *********
> >     1.    What could be the possible causes for it ..
> >     2.    Will doing a fdisk /mbr help
> >     3.    Is there anything equivalent to fdisk /mbr in linux
> >     4.    Will reconfiguring LILO help
> >
> > These are just a novice guesses . Gurus please advise
> > Thanx for u r time and help
> > Bye
> > Anand

This warning is because your partition table contents have changed. The
virus scanner checks ur boot record which shows different info from the
last time, before u installed. Hence it thinks there is a virus.
I think this might be the cause, as I am getting a slightly more involved
message from Quick Heal, saying its bcos Partition table has changed. And
it even goes on to say that if u have installed a UNIX OS, then u r to
ignore this warning.

You will have to disable the warning in ur virus scanner.  Check the
options to see if u find something.
Yours,
	Somik
Thought for the day :