[LI] Re: Linux India Digest V1 #306

Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 07:42:36 -0800 (PST)
From: Manjunathan Padua <manjunathan_py@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LI] Manjunathan cries for HELP in configuring AGP card : Trident
3DImage975

My vga card is a AGP card , whose configuration is

    Trident 3DImage975 with TV out
    with 4MB VRAM

My Monitor is 15" LG Studioworks (with Multimedia)

    Horisync is 30-64Khz

    Vertsync is 50-120Hz

Now my problem is that, During installation linux
automatically recognises my AGP card but when I start
the Xwindows by typing startx in the shell terminal,
the startup screen comes up, then it shows the status
bar of Enlightment window  increasing from 0% and
reaching 100%. Then the screen goes blank with

=====
Dear gang,

Hi this is my first message to the list ;-)

My name is Soumendra Nanda
and i am studying in TE ,RAIT, Nerul.

I have a trident 3dimage 975 4 mb vram and a 15" samtron monitor 5ei
if u want i can send u my xf86 config file.. just edit the mouse part cos i
use an intellimouse or run setup to config the mouse.

ONlY prob is that i have it running only at 1024x760 at 16 and 32 bit depths
using
startx -- -bpp 16
or  startx -- -bpp 32

i dont like 8 bit ... but 2 probs... when after i type startx my monitor
syncs out and i press ctrl +alt + del once to get it into 1024 x 760 and it
works like a charm...
alas none of the othe rmodes work and i miss not having 800 x 600 ( best for
web pages )

if anyone is getting more resolutions working please let me know.
i suspect it must be something with monitor sync rates though i tried lots
of combinations and xf86setup xconfigurator & xf86config

regarding your problem with enlightenment... i advise u to reinstall all
enlightenment packages and remove any core files.
also i would advise u install wmaker/windowmaker packages. ;-)
then type wmaker.inst for each user
and make a file called ".xinitrc"  mind the dot !with one line "exec wmaker"
dont type the " ".
if u like kde then from xterm ( i prefer Eterm) type kfm & or gmc & to make
life easier .....if u like gnome.

Cheerio
s nanda

snanda@xxxxxxxx  ( mail me if u want my phone no.)

ps : if i have said anything wrong please point it out ... because this is
the first time i am using a mailing list.