[LI] [binand@bombay.retortsoft.com: Problems with dual boot]

Hi all,

I would like to share an experience with you, and ask your suggestions for
this problem I am facing.

My workstation, when it came, had only a SCSI disk with Windows 98
preinstalled. I put my RHL 6.0 CD in it, but the installation program
failed to detect my SCSI controller. Since I cannot survive without Linux,
I picked up an IDE disk lying around and installed RHL 6.0 on it (custom,
all packages from the original Red Hat CD). So, now I had both the OSes,
and to switch between them, I have to go to CMOS setup and change the
boot order - IDE first would give me Linux, SCSI first would give Windows.

Later on, when I was playing around with the system, I noticed a module
for my SCSI controller lying in /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/scsi (initio.o). I
installed that module, and I could access my SCSI drive from Linux. I
wanted dual booting via lilo, so I edited my lilo.conf to:

boot=/dev/hda

and,

image=/dev/sda1
label=dos

Then I ran lilo, and it said added linux and dos. So I rebooted from
the IDE disk, and typed dos at the lilo prompt, only to get the error
"unexpected EOF". Linux was OK.

So I tried boot=/dev/sda.

When I rebooted, this time from the SCSI disk, it came upto LI and stopped.

By this time I was about to give up, so I booted from a Windows 98
bootable floppy and did an fdisk /mbr. And it overwrote the MBR of my
IDE disk - not the SCSI disk.

It was back to Linux bootable floppies.

I opened my PC, disconnected the IDE disk, and then booted from Windows 98
floppy, and did another fdisk /mbr. Thus, fortunately, I could have both
OSes without reinstalling either.

But my problem remains - how do I achieve dual boot in this scenario?

Regards,

Binand

--
#include <stdio.h>                                   | Binand Raj S.
char *p = "#include <stdio.h>%cchar *p = %c%s%c;     | This is a self-