[LI] unable to configure networking

hi all,
I have installed RH 5.2 in one of the PC's in my lab. Even after a lot of effort I have unable to connect it to the net through the server. I have all the correct gateways, server IP's etc.
I encountered the following problems :
1) The route table showed entry only for 127.0.0.0 , so when I used the route add command I got the following error :
SIOCADDRT : Network is unreachable
What does this mean?
2) Using /etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop;/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start gave the following errors :
SIOCADDRT : Invalid argument
SIOCADDRT : Network is unreachable
SIOCADDRT : Network is unreachable
3)Pinging the server through which I am trying to network gave the following report :
ping : wrote (server no.) 64 chars, ret=-1
ping :sendto : Network is unreachable
Even after a week of frantic efforts I am unable to configure the PC for networking.
Please help.
Rahul