[LI] unable to connect to net

hi all,
I am trying to coneect to the net through a server in tmy department. I have freshly installed RH5.2 from PCQ on a machine in the lab.
I used netcfg and put in all the info after checking with the system administrator .
Using ifconfig  I set up two interfaces : lo and eth0
But while using route  to setup the routers I encountered the following error :
SIOCADDRT : network is unreachable
What does this mean?
Ping statistics for the gateway are :
100% loss
WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? Please help me out as I am getting crazy trying to locate the problem.
Also I have the following questions :
1.)Is ther anyway to know what network card is there in the pc ? (Infact the other guys working in the lab also don't know the card in the pc, so I can't ask anyone here)
I have set the card as ne2000.
2.)How do I know the correct I/O interrupt and IRQ? I feel this could be the problem.
Finally pinging localhost gives 0% loss. Hope I gave you all info required.
Please help
Rahul