Re: [LI]

Raghavendra Bhat wrote:

> A very good question which had plagued me in my initial Debian days.
> Go to http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages/ and do a search on the
> package U want to install.  Say, I want to install gnome-core and I do a
> search wherein a return list of all the packages needed to satisfy
> dependencies is shown.

	Another way is to fire up dselect and select the "apt" access method. U
must add the line deb "http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main"
in /etc/apt/sources.list for the latest packages.

	Once u understand how the various packages are grouped together in the
archive, it becomes a lot easier to search for packages. Say u want to
know about the packages available for creating CD's, the logical place
where it will be located is in the /otherosfs directory. If are looking
for audio mixers, the place to look for would be the /sound directory.

	I hope u have a better idea now. The most authoritative doc on the
subject is the policy manual, so read it again!

-- Shanu