[LI] shutdown problems

Hi all,

When i shutdown my Linux box (Ctrl-Alt-Del) after a long time ( > 2hrs) i
see that it is not able to kill a few process -
smbd, nmbd, lpd, inetd

The error mesg is something like - 'Shutting down smbd - PID 330 not found'

This *does not* happen when i shutdown the system soon after startup, say
15-20 mins.
All services which are not used for a long time seem to disappear somehow
(though they show up is 'ps ax')
I checked out that these processes are all in the suspended state.

What is the explanation for this ? I use RH 5.2

ciao,
Amit
If Murphy's Law can go wrong, it will.
Amit Kucheria