Re: [LI] linux/win

> Hey Rohit, I love your email, buddy!
> The answers to all your questions is YES.  I haven't personally tried out
the
> Linux to read NTFS file system but my friends tell me it is possible.
Both OSes
Yes its possible for linux to read an NTFS partition. But for this you'll
need to recompile the kernel with support for read/write to NTFS. I think
this thing is still under  development and wriring to an NTFS partition is
not safe....anyway since you'll have a new machine, there is no harm in
trying out things since there is not impt data to be lost....

-amit

> will coexist.  If you don't mind I would put more GBs of the harddisk for
Linux
> -- you will know why once you do it.  GIMP - I spend more hours with GIMP
(on a
> plain old P100 with 64 mb ram) than with my wife and she is irritated!
> You may get more answers on this list from the gurus so I'll sign off now.
BTW,
> welcome to Linux.
>
> RKA
>
> Rohit wrote:
>
> > Good morning one and all,
> > This is a newbie from a software firm. I had been in IIT for my
education
> > and [no that is not the claim to fame or something] that was where I was
> > first familiarised with this list. Glad to be in.
> >
> > I am buying a machine [choosing configuration myself] as follows..
> >
> > HDD - samsung 8Gb 7000+ rpm
> > RAM - 64 Mb at 100 Hz SD
> > Motherboard VIAbx at 100 Hz
> > Video RAM - SiS / AGP 8 Mb
> > CD - Samsung 40x
> > Sound- Yamaha ST
> >
> > I plan to install Win95 and RH Linux 6. Following are the queries..
> >
> > 1. Will it be sufficient to partition the HDD first and then install
Linux
> > over one?
> > 2. I believe in such LILO partitions, the Win95 side can not read Linux
> > partition but the Linux partition can read/write on Win95, when run as
root.
> > Am I right?
> > 3. I could install Win NT 4 on the windows partition but I believe that
Linux
> > can not securely and safely share the NTFS. The idea was to leave 3 Gb
on
> > Linux side and keep development work on the Win partition itself so that
the
> > files are accessible to both the operating systems. NT was preferred for
> > security and stability reasons. Please clarify if the NT and Linux can
be
> > installed so as to enable Linux r/w on the win partition?
> > 4. For 41k rupees, will this configuration run games, occasionally,
> > Sound/graphics/movies  at full resolution and support fast working on
GIMP? Or