[LI] upgrade method?

My 486 won't boot from CD. I had trouble installing RH6.0 from Chip CD.
I however, installed 5.2 from PCQ and is working well and good. Is there
any better method for upgrading other than using the same method of
installation? (i.e., wait for the CD to prompt `install or upgrade?'
question). I am afraid of loosing the present setup. Perhaps, I could
use pcqupdt script with some modifications? (in short, I am looking for
upgrade from Linux environment itself. I think it is very easy for
distro people to give this choice - only the correct script file to be
written - which is tough for me!)
I hope some experts could chip in here!
Ashok