[no subject]

Hi there,
My 2 & 1/2 cents. My machine is an Pentium II running 98,RH6.0 and NT4. So,
I thought I'd add some stuff. I'll skip the hardware part which has been
discussed rather well, but just few lines. More mem == good. AGP == Good. If
you have the dough, go for the Itanium... ;-)
>1. Will it be sufficient to partition the HDD first and then install Linux
>over one?
You can install Windoze first and then use FIPS, part and install Linux.
But, not a good idea, as FIPS has to change your original HDD FAT, etc etc.
Nothing damaging as such (FIPS is a most elegant software), but still not
required.
On the other hand - don't try to install Windoze after Linux. If it's 98,
it'll overwrite LILO, which you can recover from with an update. If it's NT,
it's look @ LILO in the boot sector and lie down somewhere and die. And
crash your system as well.
>2. I believe in such LILO partitions, the Win95 side can not read Linux
>partition but the Linux partition can read/write on Win95, when run as
root.
Partially right. As usual Linux works with everything == so it reads /
writes (note I use the NTFS drivers, and they are OK... atleast till now!).
Windoze doesnt do anything. There are some software. But they are unstable
and dangerous. If the files are small enough, jump to "mcopy a:*.*" etc etc!
>3. I could install Win NT 4 on the windows partition but I believe that
Linux
>can not securely and safely share the NTFS. The idea was to leave 3 Gb on
>Linux side and keep development work on the Win partition itself so that
the
Heh, heh, Visual Studio 6.0? Join the gang, am I waiting for Jessie or what!
In case you are interested (line for the rest of the ppl on the list... ;-))
you could check out development tools for Linux....
>files are accessible to both the operating systems. NT was preferred for
>security and stability reasons. Please clarify if the NT and Linux can be
Funny. Very funny. But when you think of 98, perhaps you are right. Shudder.
> should I go for a more powerful system.
Not really. This should do, at a pinch. But, a word of caution, it really
depends on the apps you want to run - there was no mention of them, so I'd
take it, that they aren't really heavy duty. Your multimedia, gaming etc
should be ok.
About accessibility. NT dies with LILO. So, leave your boot info on the
Linux partition. You can config NT to allow you to boot into Linux.
Interesting procedure. Strip some 128 KB of your kernel from there, put it
onto the NT partition, and set up NT's boot.ini. At one point in a machine I
know, I had NT reeling off NT, Win98, Linux 6.0 as boot options - it's so
greedy it wont let anyone else boot up! Read www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm
for more help

One last word. Aaaaargh. Why is everyone letting the reply to a reply to a
reply get attached to their mails. Please, it destroys the signal / noise
ratio. Please, cut and remove all parts of the message, unless it's with
reference. Do not automatically attach a mail when you reply. Please.

ReSourcefully,

    Gandalf Mithrandir   /* "Mobilis in mobile." */   gandalf@xxxxxxxxx
/*   Any Sufficiently Advanced Operating System is indistinguishable from Linux   */
// Do not meddle with SysAds for they are quick to anger and subtle in their ways //