[LI] proxy server

I have  installed wwwoffle. It was working ok with proxyserver as my
host lvghomepc:8080. I was unable to get ip-up.local inspite of all
permissions. Hence I made ipup file in my home dir as given below.
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/killall -9 named
/usr/sbin/named /etc/named.conf.online
grep -v pppconnection /etc/hosts >/tmp/hosts.tmp
echo "$4 pppconnection">>/tmp/hosts.tmp
mv /tmp/hosts.tmp /etc/hosts
ntpdate 128.175.1.3 & >/dev/null&
wall "Internet connection established ($4)"
echo `date` CONNECT $4 >> /var/log/ppplog
/usr/local/bin/wwwoffle -online
/usr/local/bin/wwwoffle -fetch

first i saw the msg that permission denied for named. I saw permissions
to execute is ther for all.

second hosts.tmp file was created but empty.

third inspite of permissions as below
drwxr-xr-x  21 root     root         1024 Jul  5 11:02 var/
drwsr-sr-x   7 root     root         1024 Oct  2 07:30 log/
I got permission denied and ppplog file was not created.

fourth, i get the following msg when i open navigator.
warning:an HTTP proxy host was specified(lvghomepc).
but that host is unknown.
This means externaal hosts will be unreachable.
perhaps there is a problem with a name server.
consult your system admin.
netscape is unable to locate the server lvghomepc:8080
please check the server name and try again.

how to solve above problems.

--
L.V.Gandhi
MECON, 5th Floor, RTC Complex, Visakhapatnam AP 530020 INDIA