Re: [LI] linux/win

Hi rohit,

> Good morning one and all,
> This is a newbie from a software firm. I had been in IIT for my education
> and [no that is not the claim to fame or something] that was where I was
> first familiarised with this list. Glad to be in.
>
> I am buying a machine [choosing configuration myself] as follows..
>
> HDD - samsung 8Gb 7000+ rpm
> RAM - 64 Mb at 100 Hz SD
> Motherboard VIAbx at 100 Hz
> Video RAM - SiS / AGP 8 Mb
> CD - Samsung 40x
> Sound- Yamaha ST

I won't recommend SiS card. I had a tough time configuring it for linux.
This is my own viewpoint. Someone more experienced (and there are many on
this list) may give you a better advice.

> I plan to install Win95 and RH Linux 6. Following are the queries..
>
> 1. Will it be sufficient to partition the HDD first and then install Linux
> over one?
> 2. I believe in such LILO partitions, the Win95 side can not read Linux
> partition but the Linux partition can read/write on Win95, when run as
root.
> Am I right?
Yes, windows cannot read the linux partition. Linux can, but i think you can
also read the win'95 partition as a normal user...you need not have root
previliges for that.

> 3. I could install Win NT 4 on the windows partition but I believe that
Linux
> can not securely and safely share the NTFS. The idea was to leave 3 Gb on
> Linux side and keep development work on the Win partition itself so that
the
> files are accessible to both the operating systems. NT was preferred for
> security and stability reasons. Please clarify if the NT and Linux can be
> installed so as to enable Linux r/w on the win partition?
All three can co-exist. I have all of these on my HDD. To do this you will
first have to create a partition for win'95 and leave some  unpartitioned
space for linux. You can have win'95 and win-nt on the same partition if it
is FAT. If you want to have a NTFS system for win-nt then you'll need a
separate partition for nt also. First install win'95, then win-nt and then
linux. Well, it will be better if you read the Linux-NT HOWTO

> 4. For 41k rupees, will this configuration run games, occasionally,
> Sound/graphics/movies  at full resolution and support fast working on
GIMP? Or
> should I go for a more powerful system.
Well you didn't metion the speed of your CPU. But i it will be at least a
P-II (350).
You might be knowing that linux is not resource hungry...it happily runs on
a 486.

I'm not an expert but this is out of the whatever small experience i
have...i might not be correct...anyways experienced linuxers are there to
correct me.

-amit