Writing for PC Quest

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Gurunandan R Bhat wrote:

> Would readers of PCQuest be interested in an article on TeX/LaTeX and
> friends? About time, this amazing mother of Open Source was applauded
> outside the community scientific writers, dont you think? Or are my
> dentures showing ;)

PC Quest has always encouraged its readers to contribute articles. That's
how *I* got started with them, all those years ago.

The rules are:

- - The article should describe the technology and its application

- - The article should be in *HUMANESE* (tm Atul Chitnis ;-).
Technojabber (tm Microsoft) goes to /dev/null. BTW - Humanese does not
mean MTV-style talk - PCQ is read by people.

- - The article should be complete, not an outline. Articles that read like
a "ToDo list" are no use to anyone.

- - Plenty of examples, but not *only* examples.

- - The technology described should be current/contemporary.

- - Wherever applicable, software/data relevant to the article should be
made available well in advance for inclusion on the CD.

- - Raw text should not exceed 2 pages (4000 chars including spaces per
page), and visuals, if any (desirable!), should be included in a
reasonably common graphic format. (note - PostScript is *not* a graphic
format).

- - The earlier the article is submitted, the more chance you get to
fine-tune the article based on suggestions from PCQ.

- - No advocacy or product/platform bashing - highlighting the
technology/product's strengths and weaknesses is all that matters.

- - This is probably not of too much importance to Gurunandan, but to answer
a commonly asked question - yes, PCQ does pay for articles it prints.
Don't book your Maruti Esteem quite yet, though. You *might* however want
to plan a nice dinner at an impressive restaurant with someone special.
;-)

- - Articles must be submitted in plain text or RTF (**NOT MS WORD FORMAT**)
to edit@xxxxxxxxxxxx

- - Issue contents are fixed months in advance - PCQ currently working on
the October 1999 issue.

If anyone wishes to have more information about writing for PCQ, please
contact me or kkkg@xxxxxxxx via *private email*.

Atul