RE: How to Transfer the whole Linux partition to new HDD

> I think if yoou use cpio, it copies recursively and it also maintains
> the ownership and dates of the files .. it is the most effective
> when copying the entire dir ..,
> just mount the second disk and give the cpio command to copy recursively
> nps

The following the a sure-fire way of transferring data with all perms
intact. We have used this for years.

It assumes that the data you wish to transfer is on a disk mounted on
/olddisk.

For example, if you wish to transfer all data from the /home hierarchy of
the old hard disk to /home on the new hard disk, you do the following:

cd /olddisk/home

find . -depth -print | cpio -pdmlu --preserve-modification-time --verbose
/home &>/tmp/cpio.log

Note that "find.....cpio.log" is one single line.

Ignore the warning/error messages that may show up - data *will* get
transferred correctly.

Credit for this "convulsion" goes to my collegue Gopi Garge.

Atul