Re: How to Transfer the whole Linux partition to new HDD

According to Arun Sharma:

> "Soumyanath Chatterjee" <soumya_chatt@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>

> > Path - I
> > --------
> > 1. Install linux on second HDD
> > 2. Copy the files I have changed to from old installation.
> >
> > Path - II
> > --------
> > 1. Format the new HDD with linux
> > 2. mount it under a new directory
> >
> > Guru's any advice on this?
>
> Another FAQ. This has been discussed before. If I recall correctly,
>
> (a) Copying loses ownership and dates on the files.
> (b) You can use "tar" to transfer from a to b using:
>
>     cd a; tar cf - | (cd b; tar xvf -)
>
> (c) You can use dd to do it too
>
>     dd if=/dev/hdxx of=/dev/hdyy
>
> 	-Arun
I think if yoou use cpio, it copies recursively and it also maintains
the ownership and dates of the files .. it is the most effective
when copying the entire dir ..,
just mount the second disk and give the cpio command to copy recursively
nps

> thoroughly ignored and derisively sniggered at in private.

- --