Regarding subnet config

Hi all,
After formatting my syatem which jad crashed I have landed in a soup. For
the DHCPD is not taking off. There is no /etc/dhcpd.conf file created.
Hence I am not able to link my clients with the server. Moreover I suspect
a wrong configuration of subnet as alias eth0:0 with IP 192.168.1.1.
Please let me know the things as they have to be done sequentially.
Also please let me know about configuring a proxy server using squid...

One more request. At present I have got RH 5.2. How to upgrade it to RH
6.0 using Web?

Please bail me out as I am still gazing at the monitor quite dazed...

Thank you in advance for I may forget to do so while jubilating..

Geethalakshmi. V.