Re: httpd failed

> Rajesh Fowkar proclaimed:
> > When I type hostname at the prompt. I get the following
> >
> > $localhost.localdomain
> >
> > - There is no file with the name /etc/hostname.
> > - My /etc/hosts file is blank ( No contents ).

Hmm... Check the file (on Redhat) /etc/sysconfig/network. Does it look
something like this? (I am typing this from memory, so might have omitted some
of the names).

NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4="no"
HOSTNAME="name.domain.whatever.com"
DOMAINNAME="domain.whatever.com"
GATEWAY="IP address of your Gateway"
GATEWAYDEV="eth0"

If no, then fill in the blanks. Then run

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

and

/etc/rc.d/rc.local

I am not sure if there is anything else to be done. Someone else can throw
light on further stuff to be done.

After this, try out the commands hostname and domainname. If they give the
correct values, then do a

/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start

Regards,

Binand