fips problem: more info: still unsolved

well
I have run defrag before running fips.
I have also checked what the type "0Eh" stands for. It is FAT16.
this type was introduced with Win95. There was some documentation that said
that some older
dos versions of fdisk do not recognize this. But I had no problem with fdisk
(except that it refused to create an extended partition).
I also tried running the fips 2.0 program that recognises FAT32.
But still no luck.
I get the same message " ***Error: Unknown file system: 0Eh****
Somebody suggested using another partitioning program called partbeta, but I
couldn't find it.

Any ideas ?
TIA,
Ankur