(sigh) Configuring the SiS6215....

> I installed RH 6.0 from CHIP Special in the machine with sis6215. I
> slected card type SI86C215. But I couln't configure. it does not
> recognise video ram of 2MB. Xconfiguaration fails. I have to try the PCq
> method.

(sigh) The PCQ method will not work because it was for RHL 5.2. Which means
we now have an entire generation of new SiS6215 questions coming up, and of
course no place to put the FAQ....

If you have the "original" SiS6215, you can configure it as below. If you
have a Revision 2 or revision 3 card, you need to open the Window, take aim,
and throw it away....

First, make sure you have the SVGA X server installed (rpm -Uvh
/mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/XFree*SVGA*.rpm)

Then, using Xconfigurator, install the card for sis86c205 (though sis86c215
sounds more logical, it is a completely different card and will not work).
Do not allow propobing, specify the amount of RAM you have, set the
resolution, do not allow it to test the card if it asks.

Then edit /etc/X11/XF86config, locate the section called "# Device
configured by Xconfigurator:", end before the "EndSection", insert this line

    Chipset "sis86c205"

and uncomment the VideoRam item above it -make sure it specifies the correct
amount of RAM. Edit the other items to your liking.

Here is the section from one of my machines:

# Device configured by Xconfigurator:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "SiS 6215"
    VendorName  "SiS"
    BoardName   "6215"
    VideoRam    2048
    # Option "no_accel" # Use this if acceleration is causing problems
    # Option "fifo_moderate"
    # Option "fifo_conserv"
    # Option "fifo_aggresive"
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
    Chipset "sis86c205"
EndSection

Atul

Atul Chitnis     | achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
C&B Consulting   | http://www.cbconsulting.com
Bangalore, India | +91(80)3440397 Fax +91(80)3341137