Re: xfstt

ashutosh wrote:

> Can anybody on this list tell me how to use xfstt ?
> I read the man page. After starting xfstt I used the xset command as
> given in the man page. But it gives me error saying 'cannot open display
> "" ' . I have a few fonts in the /usr/ttffonts directory.

	Try this...

1. Start xfstt as a daemon.
2. Put some tty fonts in /usr/share/fonts/truetype (depending on ur
distro) or make a symlink to /C/Windows/fonts.
3. From the command line run...$ xfstt --sync
4. in /etc/X11/XF86Config add the foll line in the fonts section

	Section "Files"
   		RgbPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
		FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
   		FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
   		FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
   		FontPath    "unix/:7101"
   		^^^^^^^^    ^^^^^^^^^^^
	EndSection

5. run $ xlsfonts and check whether any tty fonts is displayed !

> What are the parameters to be given to the xset command ?

	If u add the fontpath in XF86Config u do not need to run xset. The
fontpath will be added each time u fire up X

> Also is it possible to specify c:\windows\fonts directory directly for
> the --dir option to xfstt ?

		Don't use the --dir option. Symlink /usr/share/fonts/truetype to
/C/Windows/fonts.

Note: ( ripped from xfstt FAQ )

	However, mozilla Since X11 netscape 3 doesn't use scrollable listboxes
for font    selection having more than a dozen *ttf fonts makes
selecting
        fonts difficult. Netscape 4 needs a while to sort the fonts if
        several hundreds are installed. Netscape has the bad habit of
        not closing fonts when they are no longer used. As the number
        of open fonts is finite after some font changes requests for
        opening more fonts are rejected.

        Also the listbox for fontsizes only shows the size 0; enable
        scaling and type in the requested size in the box next to it.

May the Fonts be with U
- --Shanu
  Shanker Balan                                 Debian/GNU Linux 2.1
  St. Alberts College
  Cochin