Xfree86 problem

Hi,
   I am a Linux newbie and recently installed Linux onto my m/c from the
PCQUEST CD-ROM. Now am getting a problem with the X-server. My card is an
ATI Mach64 GT with Internal RAMDAC. After running Xconfigurator, gave all
the details - the on startx, the X-server started, but the display was with
multiple windows and I was unable to use it. The probe during Xconfigurator
which normally finds the card VRAM failed and I manually entered the same.
After some effort and some books, got the X-server running on VGA mode, but
programs like GIMP don't work, they crib about display depth not set. Can
somebody help me with this ? Also, how do I install the SVGA server, I tried
installing SVGA after installing the VGA, and Xconfigurator exited stating
the SVGA server was not installed.
Regards,
Ashish
ashisha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx