x-server

Hi,
		Newbie question. I cannot start x-windows, I get an error message saying
    	" xinit : connection to x server lost"
		I am running RH 5.2 (PCQ) with Kernel 2.2.7 I had everything including
KDE running smoothly for several weeks I have been through xconfigurator and
XF86Setup at the end of which I see the message  "x server running
successfully "
but when I try to  --startx or startkde  I get  " xinit : connection to x
server lost"
		I can't seem to make out  much from the manual / docs. It also seems to me
that earlier I could get kde started in seconds but gradually it seemed to
take longer
and longer and finally this.
		I have 64 mb RAM ,32 mb swap and >20mb free space in my Linux partition
		How do I get the X going again , Thanks in  advance
BALAJI