Re: Hi!

Jeffrey Yep wrote:

> Well I've finally got onto the linux-india list. Well I have a slight
> problem. You see I'm new to Linux and I'd like to install it on my 486 which
> has 8MB RAM and a CD ROM attached. But I have a few questions before I do
> that. I have only one HD which has only 600+ MB memory. Already 350Mb is
> occupied with Win 95 and its applications, so that leaves me with only 250MB
> free. Is 250MB enough for Linux?? I would like to go for Red Hat or if there
> is a better version ofLinux then please tell me. Basically will I be able to
> have a word processor, GUI interface for Linux on this much memory also?

First of all, rh5.2 needs minimum about 200 mb with kde, mail, netscape,
so  250 mb is not sufficient (assuming 32mb of swap space).
Secondly I feel any gui like kde will be torturing on 486. Linux with
gui and netscape need at least p200 with 32 mb ram.

So forget gui, go for minimum installation (with all options deselected
in rh5.2 ) of about 60-70 mb. And if you still want to conserve the
space go for umsdos of slack ware which will take 20-25 mb without
separate partition.

If you really want to learn linux the dark world of command line is
best, the gui is for the people who just want to use linux.

Best Wishes.
- -mukund
http://members.theglobe.com/betacomp/default.html
http://members.xoom.com/BETACOMP/index1.htm