Re: Re: Viability of Linux companies

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 09:02:29AM +0530, Arun wrote:
> > > When did the BSD project start? RMS started the FSF in 1984 (according
> > > to what I recall he said at last years Banglinux)
> >
> > Early 70s.
>
> 	When did it became a free/openSource software ?

It was open source software right from the beginning. Any university could
easily get the source code, which is what made UNIX popular. If UNIX wasn't
popular, Linus would've probably written an OS/2 clone :)

However, it's legal status became clear only in 1994. I think that was a
land mark event. You'd probably agree that it's the least restrictive
operating system on the planet.

If you'd like to find out more, feel free to join the list:

http://sharmas.dhs.org/bsd-india/bsd-india.html

	-Arun