Re: Re: Viability of Linux companies

On 21/04/01 09:30 -0700, Arun Sharma spewed into the LI bitstream:
> On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 12:29:17PM +0530, Atul Chitnis wrote:

> > > Linux just an OS

> > OK, so says you. Unfortunately for you, the multitude of people does *not*
> > think that way. We look at Linux as being symbolic of something we believe

> In the end, we all have more similarities than differences. We all
> believe that patent-raj, MS style monopolies hurt developers as well as
> end users. As Kirk McKusick likes to put it, we share the "high bit".

 Perfectly put.  Now, can we get on with life, the universe and everything?
 I, for one, am an end user (more or less - just that I admin instead of use).

 As I dont code, i'm more or less indifferent [lots of people are, if they are
 end users.  At this level, both the gnu and bsd licenses give us freedom, and
 give us the source, so big deal.  Its when I start releasing patches to source, or try to switch licenses that things start ummm... happening.

> However, the lower order bits are messed up. Can't we just live with our
> differences ?

 ... and get on with our lives?  This particular gpl v/s bsd license war is so
 old, its got whiskers.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian  <---->  mallet <at> efn dot org
"I was playing poker the other night ... with Tarot cards. I got a full