Re: Re: Viability of Linux companies

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Arun Sharma wrote:

> Bit of education in order:

Hmmm, looks like we have an attitude coming up.

> BSD is both a license and an OS

The point being?

> Linux just an OS

OK, so says you. Unfortunately for you, the multitude of people does *not*
think that way. We look at Linux as being symbolic of something we believe
in. I have discussed this before on this list and even with you in
private, so you know this.

> GPL is just a license and backed by an organization that's ten times as
> vehement in pushing it than I am in bashing it.

I have no issues with your BSD v/s GPL stand. Just understand that as
things stand, GPL is the favoured license (good or bad, not for me to
judge) and that your statements (which do precious little to support Linux
in India) undermine the validity of Linux based on your stand.

> I don't bash Linux. I bash GPL. And sorry, I don't agree with the
> term GNU/Linux, nor is Linux == GPL.

Few of us do. And no one has implied that either. You are going in a
direction that no one else is travelling in.

> I think some parts of Linux are great - but I hate to see all the energy
> going in a direction that's not useful to > 95% of the computing population
> and never will be.

Right. So you say this is the case right now? OK, so that is your opinion.
You have a right to that. But what you do not have a right to is to keep
badgering away at everything that Linux guys believe in and zeroing out
the value of lists such as these.

> I'm not here to "convert" linux people to bsd. I'd like to see Linux
> people writing programs using a non-GPL license, so that some company
> will have an incentive in productizing it. Apparently, you guys don't
> care about it, since it doesn't change anything for you.

Raju is a massive pro-GPL advocate. I am not, but I am not the pro-BSD
advocate that you are either. Does this mean that Raju and I are working
with opposing goals in mind?

I don't think so, Tim.

> Will you please leave me alone now ?

Hey, I'll pick on your comments when you make them. You want to be left
alone, don't make comments on a Linux lists that in effect say "you guys
are all dolts for believing in what you believe in - mine is the only true
way".

> Ever read LIP ? BTW, my answers come for free :)

Yes I do, and so are mine, when asked in the context of a forum or list.
What you are directly attacking with this throw-away statement of yours is
the fact that I *do* charge for my advice/answers as part of my
professional life. I follow the service model that makes Linux companies
successful.

As do you, Arun. Or are you telling me now that you don't get a salary?

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx
Bangalore, India   | +91 (80) 344-0397