Re: Startup scripts: CUI Utils Episode I (The Prequel) ;-)

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Sriram Karra spewed into the ether:
<snip>
> Your point is well taken.  On many mailing lists, and even moderated
> newsgroups this problem is trivially solved with the following
> approach: Replies are sent privately to the original poster(OP), and
> the OP accepts responsibility to post a summary to list at the
> appropriate time.  As simple as that.
Good idea. Only, if you do notice, many people break into threads in
the middle asking for clarifications or posting corrections. If the way
you choose is taken, then that person will get replies, figure
something out and post a summary. But a lot of interesting stuff gets
buried in the discussion synopsis. Plus, there are multiple ways of
solving a problem, which one I will need will not be known.
If posts come to the list, then I can search the archives and get
solutions, otherwise I'll just ask a FAQ again (because the listed
method didn't solve my trouble).
Take offtopic mail away from the list, but let on topic mail stay here.

> The first step in encouraging people to take this approach is to stop
> auto munging of the Reply-To: headers by the list mgmt software, and
> encourage the correct use of Mail-Followup-To.
Mine will always be set to the list.

Devdas Bhagat
--
Every man who is high up likes to think that he has done it all himself,
and the wife smiles and lets it go at that.