Re: Startup scripts: CUI Utils Episode I (The Prequel) ;-)

Mayuresh A Kathe <mayuresh@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Dear Saurabh,
>
> > happening lately in this thread. This annoys the other Listers and
> > is a bandwidth hog considering that the same message is routed to
> > about 400 subscribers. You can always send the mail to the other
> > person directly.
>
> Don't you think I could have simply solved the problem by asking a
> Linux wizard about it?  What you don't get is that, when we are
> discussing the problem, we are  providing solutions also, and these
> things get archived... Next time a newbie or somebody else wants a

Your point is well taken.  On many mailing lists, and even moderated
newsgroups this problem is trivially solved with the following
approach: Replies are sent privately to the original poster(OP), and
the OP accepts responsibility to post a summary to list at the
appropriate time.  As simple as that.

The first step in encouraging people to take this approach is to stop
auto munging of the Reply-To: headers by the list mgmt software, and
encourage the correct use of Mail-Followup-To.

-karra

--
All's well that ends.