Re: A Linux Today story has been mailed to you!

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 10:54:49AM +0530, Raju Mathur wrote:
> I won't be afraid the day that happens.

Unfortunately, reality tends to ignore one's beliefs. Open Source/Free Software
is a _model_ -- it is a grand experiment in social engineering. As much as we
would like to believe that it will be self-sustaining, there are no _guarantees_
that it will.

I think the model starts to break down when the ppl who _take_ start to out
number the ppl who _give_. That is, when there are far more ppl just downloading
isos with out sending patches and bug reports than there are developers and
responsible users; then our model stops being self-sustaining.

I think that's whats happening to SuSE, Turbo Linux and others. The vast
majority of ppl using their distros don't need or want their value additions.
The amount of money coming in doesn't balance their costs. The sad fact is that
money _matters_. Open Source/Free Software is a luxury that can be supported
only if our basic needs are taken care of.

Its a depressing thought. I sincerely hope I'm wrong -- but I fear I'm right.

Biju

Biju Chacko        | biju@xxxxxxxxxxx (work)
Exocore Consulting | biju_chacko@xxxxxxxxx (play)
Bangalore, India   | http://www.exocore.com