Re: A Linux Today story has been mailed to you!

Hi Suresh,
     Thanks for brining this article here.. i had
never read an article that was as well written as this
one.

     So the question still remains that, how do people
make money out of opensource??

Thanks again

Pavan

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-04-12-006-20-OP-BZ-CY

> [...]
>

> Now here's an argument even Open Source sympathisers
> have trouble with, -- the assumption that money
> must be made for Open Source to succeed. However,
> the argument is incomplete because it chooses
> to concentrate on the supply side alone, without
> regard to the demand side.
>

> While it may well be true that no one can make money
> from Open Source, that should only serve to
> discourage suppliers of software. On the demand
> side, however, consumers are saving
> tons of money by using Open Source. Since a penny
> saved is a penny earned, there is a strong
> economic basis for the success of Open Source after
> all. Someone is saving money, and they will fight
> to keep those savings.
>

> The demand side is the one that should drag the rest
> of the market, kicking and screaming, to a
> regime of drastically lower prices. Vendors will see
> their margins shrink, many will close down,
> newer, leaner ones will spring up, vendors in other
> market segments will provide software, and
> eventually, the market will adjust itself to the new
> reality. Dollar volumes will go down even
> as unit volumes go up. The transition could be quite
> painful for suppliers of software, but no
> law of economics says it cannot happen. It is not a
> law of nature that vendors must continue to
> make the revenues and profits they are used to.
>

> "Not paying for software will ultimately kill the
> industry"
>
> There are the long-term worriers who don't like this
> scenario at all, even as they accept that
> it may happen. Yes, they say, customers will save
> money in the short term, but they're eating their
> seed corn. Customers need financially healthy
> vendors to be around to support them and continually
> improve their offerings. A herd of gnu may be happy
> at the disappearance of the local lion
> population, but the herd needs predators to cull its
> ranks of the weak and the sick, and
> to keep its gene pool healthy. Saving money by
> starving your suppliers is not in your own
> long-term self-interest.
>

> This is a strange suggestion from people who
> probably describe themselves as market capitalists.
> When customers make a purchase, should they think
> about their own savings or should they worry
> about the supplier or the economy? Is it reasonable
> to ask them to choose costlier products because
> that will ultimately and indirectly serve their own
> interests? The argument smacks more of Marx
> than Adam Smith, -- The State above the individual.
>

> This was the convenient argument of horse-buggy
> manufacturers when the locomotive arrived, and of
> the railroad companies when the aeroplane appeared.
> We've seen this dozens of times in our history.
> A generation of suppliers is threatened, and they
> try to convince the rest that society as a whole
> is threatened. If history is any guide, consumers
> will make the decisions that suit their immediate
> interests, and vendors will have no choice but to
> adapt as best as they can. Those decisions may

=== message truncated ===