Re: Linux v/s Mac OS X?

on 23/3/2001 1:17 PM, Biju Chacko at biju@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Don't worry.
>
> As long as MacOS X stays on fringe hardware it's not gonna go
> anywhere. The days that one company could create a a computer with mass appeal
> is long past. In this case, Apple could never manufacture enough units to even
> nudge Windows off it's perch.

If you are a Linux *only* guy, then its time to get worried...

The Apple of today is headed by a matured version of Steve Jobs, the same
guy who was *really* responsible for creating the Evil Empire impression of
Microsoft, to market Macintosh way back in 1984-86 and also the same guy who
founded Apple and also the same guy who created the NIH (Not Invented Here)
syndrome at Apple which almost killed it.

He has changed, and if I have analysed him well enough, I think he already
has put MacOS X on Intel boxes.

Now-a-days he follows a preview and execute model, he was already previewing
the Aqua (code name for MacOS X's GUI model) on the Apple website 2 years
before releasing MacOS X, they had modeled their website to look and use the
Aqua components, also the iMac should have been an indication of things to
come.

After he was elbowed out of Apple, he started a company called NeXT which
created computers running Mach and their own proprietary graphic system
called NeXTStep (those things were really amazing).

He was capable of putting NeXTStep on many different hardware platforms,
MacOS X is nothing but the next version of NeXTStep with a lot of Jazzy
things put in (there is really no great innovation on the User Interface
front).

The real reason that MacOS X is slow because it has a lot of extra libraries
and code to support x86, SPARC as well as PPC platforms.
Add to that the built in MacOS 9 emulator/code morphing technology...

So, its time for even Microsoft to start worrying, didn't you see the
interface changes in Windows XP? Its damn bloody copied from MacOS X.
Check out http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/

On top of that they have the chutzpah to call it a reliable system:
Visit http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/guide/default.asp
And read the paragraph under the title, experience the possibilities...

Not just that, also visit
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/guide/newlook.asp
See the logon screen, the duck is copied straight from the MacOS 9 login
list...

Worth a hearty laugh...

Warm Regards.

~Mayuresh