Re: [Announce] BAngalore Debian & GNU Enthusiasts (BADGE)

> what are others experiences regarding Debian..

<qoute>Linux chooses it's friends</qoute> and debian is no exception...

Debian is most prbly the only distr i have come across, which configures
and installs the kernel first and then boots into the same kernel and
afterwards starts installing packages..A friend of mine has an old
laptop with 4M memory. We were so enthusiastic about installing Linux in
that m/c that we ignored the fact that it's touchpad, modem, ... doesn't
work under Linux. We tried installing RHL 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 7.0(we didn't
have the older versions.. what a pity!!), SuSE (same as before),
Mandrake(same), Caldera OpenLinux(a very old one..i don't remember the
version), and even FreeBSD. Huh..nothing went past the initial probes!!

Finally, i managed to get a Debian 2.2 and then it installed, without
even complaining about less memory!! (and without using swap) It is
running damned well now(of course no X but we have a lot of SVGAlib
based games for time pass) and one more thing's Debian packs a lot of
packages, so that you don't have to download them.

shashi

--
We secure our friends not by accepting favors but by doing them.
		-- Thucydides