Re: is Linux-India Exocore ?

VaibhaV rearranged electrons thusly:

> hello people,
> Please see these two nslookup outputs....

I saw that.

> [vaibhav@keya] ~$ nslookup www.linux-india.com
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:    linux-india.com
> Address:  203.197.173.225
> Aliases:  www.linux-india.com

> [vaibhav@keya] ~$ nslookup www.linux-india.org
> Name:    linux-india.org
> Address:  203.197.173.225
> Aliases:  www.linux-india.org

I also saw (and posted) a whois output which shows linux-india.com registered
some months back to a guy called Chandu Eati

> As far as I can understand, it looks like the owner of the domain
> linux-india.com meant the domain to point to linux-india.org so the person
> pointed his DNS entries to the IP of the linux-india.org.

Sure looks like that.  DNS for linux-india.com (and domain registration as
well) is being handled by register.com

> Now simply pointing to the IP of linux-india.org site wont work in this
> case as the site linux-india.org is a virtual domain as far as Apache is
> concerned.

Obviously

> I hope this clarifies the doubt anyone has as to why linux-india.com is
> pointing to that page and not to the linux-india.org site.

But the question remains, _who_ pointed it?  Some unknown philanthropist in NYC
with an unfortunately minimal knowledge of Apache virtual domains, or a troll?

This domain was created on December 28, 2000, which argues against the troll
theory (as the li-* lists were quite quiet - with fairly normal traffic and
content - back then).  So, now we have us an unnamed philanthropist.

If Thaths will please mail / call up register.com and ask what's going on?  If
this can be handled without an ICANN petition, it's a good thing.

	--s

mjollnir:~ whois -h whois.geektools.com register.com

BW whois 2.5a by Bill Weinman <http://bw.org/>
Copyright 1999-2000 William E. Weinman
Request: linux-india.com
connecting to whois.internic.net [198.41.0.6:43] ...
connecting to whois.register.com [209.67.50.36:43] ...
Registrar: whois.register.com

[snip legal disclaimer]

      Chandu Eati
      606 8th Avenue Apt. 5B
      New York, ny 10018
      US
      Phone: 2127989188
      Email: chandu@xxxxxxxxxxxx

   Registrar Name....: Register.com
   Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
   Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com

   Domain Name: LINUX-INDIA.COM

      Created on..............: Thu, Dec 28, 2000
      Expires on..............: Fri, Mar 08, 2002
      Record last updated on..: Fri, Dec 29, 2000

   Administrative Contact:
      Chandu
      Chandu Eati
      606 8th Avenue Apt. 5B
      New York, ny 10018
      US
      Phone: 2127989188
      Email: chandu@xxxxxxxxxxxx

   Technical Contact:
      Register.Com
      Domain Registrar
      575 8th Avenue
      New York, NY 10018
      US
      Phone: 212-798-9200
      Fax..: 212-629-9305
      Email: domain-registrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx

   Zone Contact:
      Register.Com
      Domain Registrar
      575 8th Avenue
      New York, NY 10018
      US
      Phone: 212-798-9200
      Fax..: 212-629-9305
      Email: domain-registrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx

   Domain servers in listed order:

   DNS9.REGISTER.COM                                 209.67.50.231
   DNS10.REGISTER.COM                                209.67.50.232

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian  <-->  mallet <at> efn <dot> org
"What separates normal people from kooks is how they react when people disagree